11 Aug Modified Binders for Aggregate for the Indian Asphalt Industry.
Bituminous Aggregate binders are majorly used for the surfacing of the roads in India.
Through the years, due to advancement in technologies,Traffic loads as well as the tyre pressures have increased drastically which has created a situation for use of modified binders to enhance the performance of the roads constructed.
Basically bituminous binders are those bituminous binders whose properties have been modified/enhanced by the use of additives.
Bitumen binders are modified in order to:
- To Stiffen binders and mixes at high temperatures to minimise rutting.
- Soften binders at lower temperatures to minimise non-load associated thermal cracking.
- Imroving fatigue resistance especially where higher strains are imposed on the bituminous mixes.
- Improving the bonding of the aggregate and bitumen.
In India, the modified bitumen has been classified into four types:
- Type A ( Polymer modified bitumen) (plastic)
- Type B( Polymer modified bitumen) (elastic)
- Type C( Natural rubber and latex based)
- Type D( CRMB)(Use of rubber from tires as an additives)
Polymer modified bitumen with elastomers i.e, Type B is recommended for usage in India because elasticity in this PMB provides resistance to both rutting and fatigue cracking and are generally more stable as compared to the other binders.
Contact @ ASHITECH to know more.