20 Oct Advantages & Functions of Asphalt Batch Mix Plant
The construction sector plays a significant role in infrastructure development. Over the years, the construction business has evolved. Thanks to modern technology, the construction industry has successfully involved the latest machinery to ensure the efficiency of work. Hence, this is a sector that uses specialized mechanisms. One of the primary pieces of equipment for any road construction activity is the Asphalt mixing plant. The plant operations have many functions, and when compared to Drum types, they are complex.
Workings of an Asphalt Batch mix plant
- The batch mixing plant has four main functions are as follows:
- Heating and drying the aggregate particles.
- Weighing Bitumen, Aggregate, and binder materials.
- Mixing the bitumen and binder with the aggregates.
- Discharging hot asphalt mix
Different types of asphalt batch mix plants
Mixing plants come categorized into the batch mix and drum mix plants. The Asphalt Batch mix plants produce hot mix asphalt in series of batches. In contrast, the Drum Mix plant has hot mix asphalt in a continuous process. The difference is not about the mode of production only but also the quantity of hot asphalt produced under each method. It is possible to form both the batch and drum types for making asphalt hot mix using recycled material. They have the option that allows them to add Reclaimed asphalt pavement.
A standard Asphalt Batch mix plant has the following components
- Metered Feeder bins. These bins contain cold aggregate from where its supplied to the dryer drum.
- Conveyor to supply aggregate from feeder bin to dryer drum.
- Drying drum with burner for heating.
- Elevator for feeding hot aggregates to the vibrating screen.
- Vibrating screens to separate hot aggregates as per size into different compartments.
- Hot bins that hold hot aggregates with a weighing system
- Filler storage with weighing system
- Bitumen storage with weighing system
- Pugmill mixing unit
- Dry dust collector
- Bag filter and control system
The layout of a Batch Mix Plant
Batch Mix plants are known to get their name because of their ability to produce hot mix asphalt in the produces hot mix asphalt in batches. There are different sizes of batch mix plants depending on their production capacity. These plants are in demand as they can make asphalts based on different formulations. Customers who do not want a broad asphalt mix prefer these plants because they accurately use specific chemical formulations for producing asphalts in unique batches. This specialization makes them better than the drum mixers, which are ready-made for sale.
A brief overview of Asphalt Batch Mix plant working
The asphalt Batch Mix plant includes a range of functions that include weighing and heating of aggregates, heating, weighing bitumen, and weighing filler material. Then the aggregates bitumen and filler are mixed to produce hot mix asphalt. The percentage of aggregate, bitumen, and filler varies according to the specification set in the control panel. The size and percentage of aggregates also vary depending on the specific formulation selected. For adding reclaimed asphalt to the mix, there is a provision also within the batch mix plant.